Jiehannur Eiman is currently suffering for Wisdom Teeth!!
What is wisdom teeth actually? (T_T)
Definition: Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that most people get in their late teens or early twenties. Sometimes these teeth can be a valuable asset to the mouth when healthy and properly aligned, but more often, they are misaligned and require removal.
There are several situations where dentists advise to extract wisdom teeth, whether following an infection, or to avoid future complications.
- When the jaws are not wide enough to allow the wisdom teeth to erupt in an alignment that is useful for chewing.
- When the wisdom teeth are partially erupted, since this allows bacteria to penetrate around a tooth and cause an infection. Partially erupted teeth are also more susceptible to cavities and gum disease since they are more difficult to clean.
- A misalignment of the wisdom teeth can squish or damage the second molars since maintaining a good oral hygiene is difficult in this area, making these teeth more vulnerable to cavities and gum disease.
- To reduce the risk of cysts formation that can appear around an impacted tooth.
- The best time to extract wisdom teeth is at the end of adolescence, since the roots may not be completely formed, making the treatment less complicated.
- Make an appointment with your dentist if you experience constant or severe pain. Severe pain, or pain that doesn't subside after a few days, may indicate a serious problem that your dentist needs to be aware of.
- Try chewing gum on the side where you're experiencing pain. Chewing gum will gently massage the painful area and may offer some temporary relief.
- Use a topical numbing agent. Oral numbing medications can be bought over-the-counter at most pharmacies, discount department stores, and supermarkets. Just apply a small amount to the affected area to numb the site for up to thirty minutes at a time.
- Try a warm saltwater rinse. Warm saltwater will help ease moderate wisdom tooth pain without the use of medications. Just swish the solution in your mouth for thirty seconds and spit. Be careful not to swallow the saltwater.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers. Acetaminophen helps relieve the pain associated with emerging wisdom teeth. Follow the dosage and directions on the pain reliever packaging and pay close attention to any warnings labeled on the bottle. If you have other medical conditions or are taking other medications, consult your doctor before taking any over-the-counter medication to avoid harmful drug interactions.
Additional info!! :)
- After your wisdom teeth have emerged completely, your pain should stop. If it doesn't, consult your dentist.
- For some people there is not enough room in their mouth for their wisdom teeth to come in and this can result in teeth drifting and becoming crooked. See your health care provider to be evaluated.
- Call your dentist immediately if you find it difficult to close your mouth completely or if you are unable to touch the affected area without experiencing severe pain.